HISTORY OF THE VFW
The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States was founded in 1899 and serves only active duty and honorably discharged personnel, both men and women, with campaign medal service on foreign soil. It is a non-profit, non-partisan, non-sectarian Veterans organization dedicated to the principles of patriotic service and the ideals of comradeship.
At present, the VFW is bolstered by over 1 million members belonging to nearly 10,000 Post’s and has a responsible role in safeguarding American security and the welfare of its Veterans, their widows and orphans.
HISTORY OF MANASQUAN VFW POST 1838
The Manasquan Veterans of Foreign Wars was organized in 1930 with George C. Smith as Commander. It was known as the Manasquan/Brielle Post until 1958, when the Brielle name was dropped. Since 1930, the Post has had a successive list of 60 Commanders, the current one being John Murphy, a Marine who served in Viet Nam. The membership stands at 275.
The VFW moved to it’s present location at 30 Ridge Avenue, Manasquan in 1959. It consolidated with the Spring Lake Heights Post 3716 in 1978 and Neptune Post 9755 in 1983. World War II Veterans are rapidly becoming the minority as their ranks are filled by Veterans of the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, thus necessitating the need for consolidation.
The Manasquan VFW is considered a premier Post in New Jersey and is referred to as a model Post because of it’s commitment to activities. Post 1838 has been in charge of the annual Memorial Day Parade for many years. It also takes part in Loyalty Day programs, Veterans Day activities and special occasions where services are needed, such as Poppy distribution for Memorial Day, posting flags on Veterans gravesites and funeral services for deceased members. The Post runs the Voice of Democracy program each year to help local students with scholarship money.
HISTORY OF THE VFW